Dear John by Nicholas Sparks - Review

Wednesday 11 February 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I have finished Dear John and I have to say it's not what I expected at all. I did enjoy it but I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite Nicholas Sparks reads. I just felt that it was a really slow start and the character developed wasn't as good as some of his other characters in previous novels of his that I've read.

The book follows the life of a guy called John and he finds himself falling in love with a girl named Savannah. They end up creating a really strong bond but unfortunately because of John being in the army he has to go away a lot. 

Savannah and John exchange letters while they are apart and through this manage to keep their relationship going until John receives a letter off Savannah that breaks his heart. 

After a few years of being away with the army, John returns home to take care of his dad that is sick. After some time he goes to visit Savannah but will this spark their relationship off again?

I won't say any more as there are so many spoilers but that is the brief overview if you are interested in reading it :) Like I said before, I did enjoy this book but I do think that if there was more of a story from Savannah's perspective, not just John's, the character development would have been a lot clearer and I may have felt more attached to both of them. I also think that Nicholas Sparks could have made a lot more out the the army scenes.

Rating /5
3

As well as the book, there is also a film adaptation which of course I watched after reading the novel. It wasn't completely true to the book as there were a few things that were different but it still worked for a film. Again though I didn't think too much of it. It was ok but nothing that made me think wow that was amazing!!! I did enjoy how the film showed more of Savannah's perspective so I felt that I could connect to her more in the film than I could the book. The film was similar to the book for me in how I felt about it so for that:

Film Rating /5
3

Happy Reading!!!

xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment