Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine - Review

Wednesday 10 May 2017


Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've just finished my second book of the Bout of Books 19 ReadAThon and it was a reread although I haven't read it in years and I couldn't remember a thing about it. But it was Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine.


This is about a girl called Rowan who is handed a negative picture off the floor from a complete stranger as he thinks she has dropped it. After telling the stranger it wasn't her that dropped it and him being adamant it was, she eventually gives up and just accepts the photo.

Once she eventually gets the photo to develop more so she can see properly what/who is on it, she realises this is actually a photo of her dead brother. Rowan naturally doesn't understand how a complete stranger could accidentally hand her a photo that wasn't hers anyway, never mind it actually being of her brother.

So she sets out to find this stranger to tell him what's happened. She also makes friends with a girl called Bee and turns out Bee is hiding a huge secret...


That's all I'm going to say for now as I don't want to spoil anything but I enjoyed this book but I wouldn't say I loved it. It was alright but I found it to be a bit slow in places.

I loved Rowan's little sister Stroma as she was such a funny little character and I also loved Harper (the stranger) as he was just such a lovely person as well as being very adventurous. One thing I did find though and this has never happened to me before...I couldn't picture Rowan as a girl for some reason. I kept picturing her as a boy and I can't for the life of me work out why this was.

I really liked the concept of this story but I do think more could have been done with it and more story development could have happened. I would have also liked to have read a sequel to this story where the main protagonist is Harper as he still has a lot of potential development.

Overall however I still enjoyed the story but it wasn't perfect by any means. And for that I don't want to give it a higher rating but I also don't want to give it a lower rating. So I've decided to go somewhere in the middle!


Rating /5
3


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx



No comments:

Post a Comment