Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - Review

Thursday 6 October 2016

Hello Everyone!!!

Due to my life going a bit manic over the last couple of weeks I've failed to keep you up to date with what I've been reading. So now I'll tell you I've been reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs! I didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped however there were still elements I found enjoyable.


This is about a 16 year old boy called Jacob who ends up in a family tragedy. He finds himself visiting an island just off the coast of Wales and there he discovers the ruins of an abandoned orphanage. He soon begins to unravel clues about the children that used to live here and about Miss Peregrine herself.

One of the things he discovers is that these children might somehow still be alive and he decides he wants to find them and talk to them about what went on here and how this could actually link to himself and one of his family members.

As the story unravels, Jacob finds that getting information might be more difficult than he anticipated as nobody will tell him anything and they keep secrets that supposedly he can't find out about.


I found the story enjoyable and the idea was very interesting, however I did find my mind wandering quite a lot as the book was slow paced to begin with and took a while for anything major to happen.

However once the story got underway more, I did begin to enjoy it more and that kept me engaged and I was able to concentrate on what was happening, meaning I didn't find myself getting confused as much.

I really liked the settings in this story and I found that they were easy to visualise. This made it easier for me to stay engaged and I also began to ask a lot of questions and wanted to find out more.

Although I loved the settings, I didn't find myself getting attached to any of the characters and I didn't gain any clear opinions of any of them either. This is definitely a disappointment for me as I love to get attached to characters and I find I enjoy stories a lot more when I do.

I liked the images throughout as they linked to the story well and it was another element that help me visualise. They were so interesting yet very weird but they definitely gave the story that extra something and I appreciated that.


Rating /5
3


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx



No comments:

Post a Comment