The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne - Review

Friday 22 July 2016

Hello Everyone!!!

I've finished rereading The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne and I thoroughly enjoyed it again. It was great to revisit this story and I'll definitely be watching the film again very soon.


This story follows a boy called Bruno who has to move from him home in Berlin that he loves because of his father's job. His father is a soldier and Bruno thinks the world of him. However he isn't happy that he has to leave him home and his friends.

Once moved to their new location, the family find it difficult to settle in as it's nowhere near as nice as their home in Berlin. Bruno is very bored as there aren't any children to play outside with and instead the only person he seems to talk to is his sister Gretel.

From Bruno's bedroom window he notices a place that seems to be behind a huge fence and begins to wonder what it is. He sees a lot of people and thinks that there will be children there for him to play with. This is the beginning of Bruno's adventure.

Once at the fence, he meets a boy called Shmuel who is wearing what looks to be striped pyjamas. Bruno soon finds out that everyone on that side of the fence have to wear these clothes but he is none of the wiser as to why.

Bruno and Shmuel develop a beautiful friendship even though they can't play together as they are on opposite sides of the fence. But one day Shmuel's father goes missing and Bruno knows that he has the help him find him...but he will have to go under the fence and onto the other side to do this...



I loved revisiting this story as I found it so interesting and educational. It's written in such a way that children could be easily informed on a lighter scale of the horrors that went on during these times and the writing style is so easy to understand.

I loved Bruno's innocence to the whole situation as he has no idea what is going on and why he can't go play on the other side of the fence with Shmuel or why Shmuel can't come to his side of the fence to go exploring with him.

The friendship these two build is just extraordinary and you can't help but get attached to these characters. The support they give each other without even really realising it is just beautiful and you can't help but fall in love with the two of them.

I found the last chapter a bit to vague for my liking however. I understand why is was done but I think it could have had a little bit more to it. Apart from that I did really enjoy the story and I would recommend it to readers who like to be educated while reading as well as enjoy a good story. The history in this story is very well written and you can see that John Boyne has definitely done his research.


Rating /5
4


If you've read this book then definitely let me know what you thought of it as I would love to know and I'll speak to you all very soon!


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx



No comments:

Post a Comment