Readathon - Fairest Wide Awake by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges

Friday 31 July 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!!

The graffic novel I read during the readathon was Fairest Wide Awake by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges. This is the first volume in the Fairest series and I can't wait to carry on with it :)

This novel begins with Ali Barber. He finds a magic cup and discovers an imp living inside of it. The imp helps Ali Barber with his burglaries and soon he takes him to the place where Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty) is lying. Ali Barber also notices another girl lying next to Briar Rose, an icey looking character which he decides to wake first through true loves kiss. Initially neither of the girls wake up but before long both have awoken.

Ali Barber and Briar Rose get taken to the other girl's (The Snow Queen's) ice palace where they stay but soon are betrayed and find themselves in a lot of danger when a nasty character from years ago reappears and challenges The Snow Queen to fight.


I really enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to see how the story continues in the second volume which I also have so will be picking that up soon :)

I really liked all of the characters in this story but expected a bit more aggression from Briar Rose. The synopsis on the back of the book makes her sound like she's going to be a bad ass but I didn't really see much of that from her.

Other than that I really enjoyed the story and I think how it ended wasn't how you would expect it to end which takes away the princess tradition of 'and they all lived happily ever after'. I liked that about the story because it made it different and I hope we continue to get unexpected endings throughout the series.

I wouldn't recommend this to younger readers but if you're a mature reader and you like fairytales and action and adventure novels then definitely give this a read. You won't be disappointed!!!

Rating /5
4


xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment