The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz - Review

Friday 30 October 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!! I've finished The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz and I thought it was a lovely read :) I felt like it gave a great message about being kind and how that can help in times of trouble.


We are introduced to the villains, such as Maleficent, Cruella De Vil, Evil Queen, and Jafar, as well as their children, Mal, Carlos, Evie, and Jay. Before long we begin to realise that although these children are daughters and sons of evil characters, they aren't necessarily evil themselves.

These characters have all been banished to The Isle of the Lost by King Beast and can't escape unless they find the Dragon's Eye which is hidden in the Forbidden Fortress. During a party that Mal has made Carlos have at his place, Carlos shows Evie one of his inventions, but after it explodes, Diago, Maleficent's crow returns after being turned to stone for years stating he witnessed the Dragon's Eye light up. As well as that, they find out the dome in which they live under, may have been broken.

The 4 children decide to go on a mission to find the Dragon's Eye but come across many obstacles on the way such as gargoyles, goblins, and tricky riddles they have to solve in order to progress any further on their quest.

During the mission, the children, who haven't exactly been friends, become closer and come to realise that being nice isn't always a bad thing. But will the children ever find the missing Dragon's Eye and will they ever escape The Isle of the Lost?


I really enjoyed this novel and it was fun to read and the characters are all so likeable even though they aren't always the nicest. Their personalities are all so unique and interesting and there wasn't a dull moment for any of them.

I don't think this was the best written book I've ever read but I do think it was an easy read and younger readers would definitely enjoy it, especially Disney lovers.

I also felt that I could picture each of the locations well especially when the children went on their quest. I also felt that I was on the quest with them and was trying to work out the riddles myself rather than just reading on to find out the answers. Because of that, I believe this gave the book a more interactive element which would be fun for readers of all ages.

I just hope this story is going to be carried on as a series as the ending didn't feel wrapped up enough for me. It left a lot of unanswered questions and I would like to find out more about where the characters end up and how their lives progress.


Rating /5
4



Happy Reading!!!



xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment