The Death Cure by James Dashner - Review

Saturday 26 September 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finished The Death Cure by James Dashner which means I've completed the trilogy!!! Woohoo!!! I think this trilogy conclusion was fantastic and probably my favourite book of the series. Although I've finished the trilogy, I obviously still need to read The Kill Order, the prequel to the series so I will be getting onto that next :) If you don't want to be spoiled then click here for my review of the first book in the series, The Maze Runner. I also have a review up of The Scorch Trials so click here to read that :)

The Death Cure, like I said above, is the finale to The Maze Runner trilogy. The characters have escaped the Scorch and now are on a mission to stop WICKED from finding a cure their way and helping the people that aren't immune to the Flare. Luckily for Thomas, he is immune and therefore does everything he can to save the human race from WICKED. The problem is, the final thing WICKED need to complete the cure is Thomas.

Early on, the groups get told from WICKED that they are able to remove the chip in their brains that give WICKED the control over them. This will also allow them to get their memories back that they had removed before entering the maze. However, not all of them decide they want this surgery and fight against WICKED to make sure they don't go through with it.

The groups decide to escape from WICKED and fly in a Berg (a kind of futuristic aircraft). They fly to Denver, a city where to Flare has been kept out of. Thomas ends up in trouble after he gets kidnapped and encouraged to rejoin the WICKED program.

Thomas manages however to reunite with the group and also is introduced to another group called The Right Arm. They are against WICKED and want to stop them just as much as the groups do join forces.

Thomas is asked to plant a jamming device in the WICKED headquarters which will deactivate their weapons, giving the group and The Right Arm chance at defeating them. This means that Thomas has to make WICKED believe he wants back into their program. Thomas finds out that WICKED now only want his brain for the final element to the cure but Thomas is saved by one of The Right Arm and is left with a note and a map showing all of the secret entrances and exists in WICKED'S headquarters. This helps him find the group again and they continue in their mission to stop WICKED.

Soon he realises that the people immune are now back in the maze meaning he has to go back there to save them. Unfortunately for Thomas, the maze and the headquarters are already being destroyed from the bombs.

Will Thomas and his friends ever be rid of WICKED, and how many lives have to end in the journey to do so?


I definitely think this was my favourite book in the series as by this point, I already had attachments to a lot of the characters and I had a clear image of the scenery in my head so I didn't need to think too hard about that.

Although this part of the story was fantastic, it also left me heart broken in places as once again, characters I had become attached to ended up in danger, and in some cases, not making it any further.

I really felt like the ending to this book was written perfectly as the action was just none stop. The pace of the whole book was actually much better than The Scorch Trials I felt, which was perfect for a conclusion to a series.

Even though this was the final book, it did still leave you with unanswered questions at the end, which is kind of frustrating but means I now can't stop thinking about it so well done James Dashner for that!!!

I would definitely read this series again and I can't wait to see The Scorch Trials as I still haven't seen it. I also can't wait for The Death Cure to be released as a film as I think that will be amazing!!!

I would recommend this book to both YA and adult readers, especially all of you that enjoy dystopian books. If you liked The Hunger Games then I definitely think you would enjoy this book as it has similar themes.


Rating /5
4

Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment