The Distant Hours by Kate Morton - Review

Thursday 22 October 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've eventually finished The Distant Hours by Kate Morton and I have to say, it was an amazing experience to be reading another Kate Morton story after so many years. I really do love her writing and in both books I've read by her now (even though I need to recap on the one I read a few years ago), I always get so attached to the characters and the settings.


In this story we meet Edith, a girl who doesn't exactly always see eye to eye with her mother. After a letter arrives in the post addressed to her mother, and when Edith witnesses her mother's reaction when reading the letter, Edith begins to suspect her mother has been hiding something from her.

Edith begins her journey finding out what her mother has been hiding and finds herself at Milderhurst Castle, home to the Sister's Blythe. The Sister's Blythe consists of three sisters; Percy, Saffy, and Juniper.

While Edith visits the castle and meets the Sister's Blythe, she finds out about the girls' family history including a book titled The Mud Man which their father had written. This turns out to have been a major event in the girl's past and Edith goes on a hunt to find out why.

As well as the book, Edith learns about past relationships and the traumas the girls have been through. And during learning of these events, one man in particular becomes one of the main elements in Edith's discoveries in learning about the secrets behind Milderhurst Castle; Thomas Cavill.


I don't really want to say much more about the plot as I think it's one of those stories that you just have to read and find out all the little details for yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed this story as I instantly was able to picture the locations and the way in which Kate Morton describes these locations is just beautiful. I also really like that Kate Morton sets all of her stories in England. It gives her books much more of a historical theme and that is something I really enjoy reading about.

As well as loving the locations, I also loved the characters. There wasn't one particular character that I felt I liked more than the others, I enjoyed reading about all of them and their adventures in both the present and the past. That brings me on to my next point about why I enjoyed this book so much.

Kate Morton writes her novels in a way in which we see each character's perspective, both in the past and the present. Each chapter/section of her books have specific dates stated at the beginning of each so you know whether the words you are about to read of from the character's past or whether they are in the present time. This not only allows you to read about the character's now, but gives you a backstory of each of the characters, their history, events that have happened that have been highly significant in their lives etc.

I think if you enjoy reading about England and the historical elements of this country, then I think you will really enjoy Kate Morton's writing, and if you enjoy getting attached to the characters you are reading about and getting drawn into the settings, then these books are definitely for you.


Rating /5
5


If any of you have read The Distant Hours, or any other one of Kate Morton's novels for that matter, then leave in the comments your opinions as I would love to see whether you enjoy her novels as much as I do.


Speak to you all very soon!!!


xHannahx 

No comments:

Post a Comment