A Whole New World. A Twisted Tale by Liz Braswell - Review

Tuesday 23 August 2016

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finished my 2nd book of the Bout of Books Read-a-thon and I enjoyed it. Probably not as much as I'd hoped to but still a good read. And that book was A Whole New World. A Twisted Tale by Liz Braswell.


This is the story of Aladdin, but not how we all know it to be. The novel begins in the same way as Aladdin, up until he is in the cave. In Aladdin, of course he doesn't give the old man (Jafar) the lamp, but in this story he does. Which could be the worst decision he has ever made.

We follow Jafar as the Sultan and the leader of Agrabah, and all the chaos that he is causing. He has slaves, guards that tend to his every need, and he will kill anyone that gets in his way. So Agrabah is now in ruins.

Aladdin and Jasmine go out to try to save their kingdom and get Jasmine into power. With the help of Aladdin's friends, Rajar Jasmine's tiger, and Abu Aladdin's monkey, the gang fight their way through the chaos and try to save the kingdom before it's too late.


I found this story really fun and a good take on Aladdin. It was good to see what Agrabah could have been like if Jafar had all of the power and became the most powerful Sorcerer in the world. And trust me, it's not a nice world!

I loved Jasmine's character as she wasn't your typical princess and had such a feisty nature to her. I also really liked Morgiana, one of Aladdin's friends, as she came across as such a leader but you could tell she still needed her friends to support her.

There were lots of moments in this story that shocked me and for it to be a different take on Aladdin, it definitely got a lot darker than I expected it to. I really liked those elements though as it kept me engaged and I wanted to read on.

However, the story did also get slow at times and I felt my mind wandering. This meant I had to go back and reread some pages as I got lost every now and again. Saying that, Jafar and how evil he was really surprised me! He was awful! I knew he was obviously a bad character but I never expected him to be as bad as he was...he was so horrible! A really good character to read about though.

Overall I enjoyed this story but like I said, I did feel like my mind wandered every now and again when I felt the story slowing down. However I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good fairytale retelling or is just a Disney lover.


Rating /5
3


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx


No comments:

Post a Comment