The Maze Runner by James Dashner - Review

Sunday 13 September 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finished The Maze Runner by James Dashner and I thoroughly enjoyed it :) I now can't wait to watch the film tomorrow afternoon when I get back from work!!!

A lot of people already know what this book is about but for all of you that don't, then I'll give you a brief synopsis :)

The book begins with a boy called Thomas stuck in a dark lift, not understanding what is going on, how he got there, or where he's going. He ends up in a place called the Glade where a group of other boys welcome him. Thomas naturally has so many questions to ask as he wants to learn about what is going on, but the boys don't ever really give him any answers and Thomas gets very frustrated.

The boys start to suspect Thomas, thinking he knows more than he is letting on but Thomas just keeps telling them he has no idea about what's going on or even who he actually is. And then a girl turns up and things begin the change.

She turns up out of the lift with a message and the boys all want to know what the message means. Because of them thinking that Thomas has more information, they begin interrogating him for answers, but of course, Thomas doesn't remember anything to tell them.

Later on Thomas is shown through a window a huge maze. He begins to ask questions about what this place is and soon finds out about the Grievers. Creatures that appear to be out to kill the boys. But they only appear at night when the doors of the maze close.

During the story, the boys try to work out a way to get out of the Glade and the maze and find themselves being put into a great amount of danger when finally working out how they can escape.


I really enjoyed how fast paced this book was. Right from the very beginning, you are thrown straight into the plot; there is no messing around at the beginning like some books tend to do. I also grew very fond of some of the characters quickly which I always find is a good thing as it keeps me intrigued in the storyline.

As well as this, I really enjoyed the writing as it was descriptive and I felt I could imagine the scenery and characters pretty clearly. I like writers that do this as I think it makes the story even more intense.

A couple of chapters from the end, something happens that I won't spoil but it absolutely broke my heart. I actually can't believe James Dashner did that!!! Why dude why?!?!? Yes, I'm not over that quite yet, and I don't know whether I ever will be!!!

I found that even though the girl was a main part of the storyline, she was never the only one being focussed on and I liked that. Instead of her being centre of attention all of the time, she was mostly brought into the story when Thomas was thinking about her, rather than her being physically there all of the time.

I'm definitely super excited about reading The Scorch Trials now and I can't wait to finish the series and see all of the films (when they are all out). For now, I can look forward to watching The Maze Runner tomorrow and The Scorch Trials whenever I get to the cinema!!!


Rating /5
4


If you've read this book/series, then leave in the comments below your opinions as it would be great to see if any of our opinions match.


I'll speak to you all very soon!!!


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx 

No comments:

Post a Comment