A Hundred Pieces Of Me by Lucy Dillon - Review

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Hello Book Lovers!!! 

I've finished A Hundred Pieces Of Me by Lucy Dillon and I really enjoyed it :) It's a lovely summer read about finding yourself all over again and getting rid of all the things you don't need in your life any more.

This novel follows Gina, a woman who has recently just split up from her husband Stuart. She struggles with the break up but manages to find herself a little flat and soon she starts to realise that she has way to many things. She knows that a clear out is needed but decides to do it slightly differently. 

She decides to only keep 100 items and the rest either get thrown away, sold, or given away to charity/friends/family etc. 

As well as this, Gina has also suffered from breast cancer and some of the items she discovers bring back memories of her time fighting with this illness. Although these aren't memories she wants to think about, she can't decide what to do with them. There are also other items she has collected over the years that bring back happy memories. 

Gina is an interior decorator and finds herself involved in a project that also brings back memories that she doesn't really want to remember. She and her ex looked at the house she finds herself working on now, years before. Luckily for Gina, there is a lovely, hansome guy wanting to buy the house. Unfortunately he's taken.


I really enjoyed reading this novel and I think it was perfect to read at the stage of life I'm in now. I've just finished university and a new chapter of my life is beginning. I've had to think about what's important in my life and what I can get rid of. 

I really felt Gina's emotions throughout this book and I liked how each chapter began with a memory from her past with an item she has come across while clearing out her belongings. It was nice to see how different Gina is now to how she was back when she was in high school and her early 20's. I feel she has really developed as a person and her strength fighting cancer is inspirational.

I liked the romance element to this novel as it wasn't the main topic, but gave a little more to the story and I really wanted Gina to find her happiness as she has been through so much in her life already.


Rating /5
4


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment