Matilda by Roald Dahl - Review

Monday 8 May 2017


Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've just finished my first book of May and also my first book of the Bout of Books ReadAThon! I'm already loving taking part in this ReadAThon again and I'm excited for the rest of the week! Anyway the first book I have read is Matilda by Roald Dahl! This is my favourite Roald Dahl book so as you can imagine I was super excited to read this story again.


Matilda is a little girl who is born into a family that doesn't appreciate her. What they don't realise is that Matilda is actually an incredibly gifted child both academically and in the magical powers she possesses.

Matilda joins her local school and there her teacher Miss Honey doesn't take long to realise just how gifted this child is. She ends up setting her different work to the rest of the class as it is way to easy for her but when she tells the head teacher Miss Trunchbull about Matilda she doesn't believe a word of it and just thinks Matilda is another snot-nosed kid that she couldn't care less about.

You see, Miss Trunchbull isn't someone that you would ever imagine being a head teacher. She hates children and even says her perfect school would be one in which there were no children! So as Matilda spends more time at this school and learns more about this awful head teacher, she and her friends try to trick Miss Trunchbull on a number of occasions, one of which a newt is put into her cup of water and the newt ends up landing on her when the water tips over!

Matilda also learns of a huge secret of Miss Honey's and comes up with a plan to help her out and get back what should be hers.


This is such a fun book to read and it was so nice to revisit this story and these fantastic set of characters. Like I said before, this is my favourite Roald Dahl book so it was great to read this story again.

I love the settings in this story and how vivid the explanations of these were so you could clearly picture them in your mind. Some of them were imaged through the book so that also helped and of course I've seen the film millions of times so that is obviously engraved into my head as well!

Roald Dahl's descriptions in general throughout this book were fantastic and Quentin Blake's illustrations really helped bring his descriptions to life.

I also loved the characters and how each of them had their own unique personalities. It meant I never got confused as to who was who (more so of the school children), and that also made the story even easier to follow.

I didn't realise how much was actually added to the film that isn't included in the book. For example, the scene in the film where Matilda goes to Miss Trunchbull's house and starts to move things around in her house with her eyes while she is sitting in a tree outside isn't in the book at all. This scene is purely for the film and also Matilda is never put into the Chokey in the book either whereas she is in the film, but I don't think it mattered at all that these weren't in the book. The book still flowed perfectly and I still loved it just as much as I thought I would.

Overall I think this story isn't just perfect for children, but perfect for any age range. It's a story that will never age and a one I will definitely read to my future children if I decide to have any.


Rating /5
5


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx



No comments:

Post a Comment