The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - Review

Wednesday 31 May 2017

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've just finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and I loved it! I think it's such an important read and covers so many issues we face in the world today.


The Hate U Give is inspired by the Black Lives Matter Movement in the United States and is about a 16 year old black girl called Starr who witnesses her friend get shot by a white policeman.

Starr knows because of herself and her friend not being white, the fight for justice for her friend is going to be tough. But with some encouragement from friends and family, Starr begins to speak out.

However this might not make any difference in the case even though Starr is stating only true facts of what she witnessed. But she will do anything it takes for her to get justice for her friend and fight for her rights as a black citizen.


I can't stress enough how incredible this book is and how much of an important read I think it is. It covers topics such police brutality, racism, gang culture, and fighting for race and gender equality and justice.

I loved Angie Thomas' writing throughout this and she covers the hard-hitting topics in such a fantastic way. I think she has really portrayed the messages in this book incredibly well both through her descriptive writing and her character dialogue.

I really felt so bad for the characters in this story fighting for justice and this shouldn't be something that exists in this world. I couldn't help but get attached to them as well. The story really made me feel every emotion and that's when I know I've read a good book.

While reading this I was feeling angry and shocked and upset as this isn't just a story, this is happening in real life and is something that really needs to be addressed and sorted out. I'm not from the United States or living there but I really hope that one day these issues are no longer.

Overall I think this book is incredible and if you've not read it I'd highly recommend it. It's one of those books that I think will go down in history as one of the most important reads.


Rating/5
5


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx


No comments:

Post a Comment