The Borrowers by Mary Norton - Review

Monday 30 November 2015
Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finished The Borrowers by Mary Norton and I really enjoyed it. I've been so busy over the last week or so that I've had hardly any time to read so apologies for the lack of posts over this month.


In this story we meet Pod who is a very talented Borrower. A Borrower is a very little person who 'borrowers' belongings off other people. Pod and his family live underneath the house of some 'Giants' (humans) and each day Pod sneaks into the house and 'borrowers' some of the Giants' belongings.

No girl Borrower has ever been allowed to go 'borrowing' however, so when Pod's daughter Arrietty goes into the Giants' house to explore and becomes friends with the boy who lives there, the Borrowers find themselves in a lot of trouble.


I found this book so lovely to read and the characters were all so likeable. I loved the relationship the Borrowers all had with each other and how much of a strong family unit they had. I also loved the writing style and how easy to follow it was.

Another thing I liked was how the Borrowers and the Giants were described. Using language like 'the big people' and 'the little people', it just gave the book a really lovely vibe.

I also loved how the Borrowers used different everyday items for things that humans would never be able to do. For example, using a tea towel as a table cloth.

During the story it is made clear that Giants and Borrowers can't mix and if it happens, the Borrowers will end up in a lot of danger. However when Arrietty makes friends with the boy from the house, we begin to realise that maybe Giants and Borrowers can mix. I really liked the friendship that built between Arrietty and the boy and how they proved that anybody can be friends no matter how a person is.

Overall I thought this was an enjoyable read and great for people of all ages. The writing style is easy enough for children and the story is great for everyone.


Rating /5
4


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment