The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton - Review

Sunday 20 March 2016

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finally finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. I didn't like it as much as The Distant Hours however I did still really enjoy it.


This is about a girl called Laurel that in 1961 witnesses a crime. Her mother comes face to face with a mysterious man and Laurel has no idea who this person is.

In 2011 Laurel decides its time to find out exactly what happened on that day. She is the only one out of her siblings that knows about the crime so she feels like she can't speak to any of them about it. But when her brother Gerry asks her whether anything happened that specific day, as he feels like he remembers something but wasn't sure whether he was just imaging it as he was so young when it happened, Laurel realises that Gerry could actually help her find the answers she needs.

The two set out to find clues to solve this mystery, collecting relevant documents, asking people that could have known what happened or at least known their mother. During this we are also taken back to the 1940's when Laurel's mother Dolly was dating a guy called Jimmy. We also find out a lot about Dolly's friend Vivian and learn that Vivian wasn't loyal to Dolly.....or was she? Vivian also had a husband called Henry who we soon find out is not a nice as he first seems.


I really enjoyed the storyline to this novel as it kept me asking questions throughout. Although the story was quite slow to start with, I did soon become enticed in it and once I learnt more about the characters I began to enjoy it a lot more.

I really liked Vivian's character which is someone I don't think you're meant to like...especially earlier on in the story. She had a lot of development and I definitely felt like I knew her by the end. I didn't however like Dolly so much (in her 1940's days anyway). I found her very confusing and I never seemed to know exactly what she was about. Her relationship with Jimmy annoyed me but not because of Jimmy. He was another character that I really liked reading about. Dolly however seemed quite controlling and that made the relationship frustrating to read about.

Overall the story was fantastic however there were just some things that annoyed me a little like the slow start and some of the characters. It isn't my favourite Kate Morton book I've read but it was still a great read and I would recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction, family mysteries etc.


Rating /5
4


If you've read this book then let me know in the comments below what you thought of it as I would love to know and I'll speak to you all very soon!!!


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx


No comments:

Post a Comment