Shelter by Harlen Coben - Review

Sunday 27 March 2016

Hello Everyone!!!

I've just finished my reread for the month and that was Shelter by Harlen Coben. I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this story and these characters as I couldn't remember much from the first time round so it felt like I was reading it for the first time all over again.


This is about a boy called Mickey Bolitar. His father has be murdered, his mother is in rehab, and his girlfriend Ashley has completely disappeared. After Mickey learns of Ashley's disappearance he goes to find clues of where she could be with the help of his friends Ema (Eema) and Spoon.

Mickey comes across many clues that eventually lead him to Plan B Go-Go Lounge. This is a bar full of dancing girls. The owner of the bar is called Buddy Rae and Mickey soon discovers that Buddy Rae is actually a very dangerous man. He also finds out about another man that could be potentially even more dangerous than Buddy Rae; Antoine LeMaire.

Bat Lady is also a main character in this story even though she isn't present much at all. She lives in a little derelict house and when Mickey hears her say that his father is actually alive, he needs to find out whether she was telling the truth or not.

Eventually all of the clues are adding together and Mickey, Ema and Spoon, now also with the help of Rachel, another girl from their school, go out to save Ashley and whoever else they are able to save on the way.


I really enjoyed this story again as it had me hooked throughout. I loved reading about each of the characters, even the bad ones were fantastic to read about as they kept you gripped to your seat. I loved Spoon as he had his own quirky little personality and was very different to the characters I'm used to reading about.

I loved the mystery aspect as well and there was never a point I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen, even though I already read this book a few years back. There was never a moment I felt was dragging, there was always some sort of surprise just around the corner and the amount of plot twists were just fantastic.

If you like crime/thriller books I'm sure you will love Harlen Coben's writing as it keeps you gripped to your seat the whole way through. I also realised that the Mickey Bolitar story is actually a series so I would love to continue on to find out what his next adventure is.


Rating /5
5


If you've read this book or any other books by Harlen Coben then leave those in the comments with your opinions of them as I would love more recommendations from him.


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx


No comments:

Post a Comment