The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl - Review

Monday 18 September 2017

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've read my second Roald Dahl book of the month and that is The Magic Finger! This is a super short book but packs in an hilarious story in just over 50 pages.


If you don't know what this is about, it's about a girl (unnamed) who when made angry casts a sort of spell using her magic finger on the person/people that have made her angry. So in this story, we find out that she has already cast a spell on her teacher for calling her 'a stupid little girl', giving her teacher whiskers and a cat tail.

But the story we follow in this book is about a family that lives nearby to the girl. They make her angry that they hunt for pleasure and so when she gets angry the magic finger puts a spell on them that has some very amusing consequences!


I'm not going to tell you what those consequences are as I don't want to give away the whole synopsis but I really enjoyed reading this story and being reunited with these characters even if it was only for a short amount of time as like I said before, the book is just over 50 pages long.

I loved the humour to Roald Dahl's writing and how he can tell such a simple story in such an imaginative way.

I can't decide whether I like that the girl with the magic finger is never named or whether I'd prefer it if she was but I like how Roald Dahl decided to do this as not a lot of stories can say they have an unnamed main character.

I definitely think the girl in this story and Matilda would get along really well as they both have magic powers and both have quite cheeky personalities. It would have been great to have read a book where these two characters meet to see how they would get along.

I'd definitely recommend this book to younger readers as it's fun and such a quick read. It's perfect for a bedtime story as it won't take that long to read however long enough to hopefully send them to sleep!

Overall I think this is a great little story and I really enjoyed reading it.


Rating /5
4


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx



No comments:

Post a Comment