To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Review

Monday 25 April 2016

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and I mostly really enjoyed it. For some reason it took me so long to read but I've finally read it and I'm glad I did.

It's about a girl called Scout who is growing up living with her father Articus and her brother Jem. Her and Jem as well as their friend Dill get up to mischief and we follow their lives as children. They have a neighbour called Boo who lives in a creepy looking house and for some reason, Boo never leaves. The children want to find out why and try to take sneaky glances into the house.

As well as that, Scout and Jem's father Articus is a lawyer and is defending a black man over a white girl's accusation. This causes uproar in the town and the children are just trying to learn why.

Overall this is a story about prejudice, accusations, and lessons learnt while growing up. I don't want to say much more on the synopsis as I don't want to spoil it for you.


I really enjoyed this novel as I thought it was written beautifully. I loved the innocence of Scout as well as her perspective being written in an older way. The relationship between Scout, Jem and Dill was also really heart-warming and you could really feel how these characters were feeling throughout.

The court case was a fantastic section of the book and something I found really gripping. I also loved the storyline about Boo and how mysterious that area of the story was. However, even though these were great sections of the book for me, I did find that the story slowed down every now and again and that's when I started to lose interest slightly. Other than that though, I did really enjoy reading about all of these characters and how different the world was back then in terms of prejudice.


Rating /5
4


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx

No comments:

Post a Comment