Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - Review

Thursday 26 May 2016

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've just finished rereading Charlotte's Web by E.B. White and once again I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's such a heart-warming read and I'm glad I revisited this story.


In this novel we meet Fern, a little girl who is given a pig to look after. She names this pig Wilbur and the two create a strong friendship. However Wilbur is soon bought by Fern's uncle who has a farm and Wilbur lives with the other animals on this farm. Fern still goes to see Wilbur everyday however and their friendship stays as strong as ever.

But when Wilbur finds out what happens on farms, and that his life won't be a very long one, he panics and tries to think of ways to change his fate. At this time he meets Charlotte, a spider who also lives on the farm in her web above the doorway. Charlotte promises Wilbur that she will save him and starts to think up ideas that could potentially work.

The idea consists of Charlotte writing words within her web like 'Some Pig' and 'Terrific' to make the humans think that Wilbur is a special pig so they won't kill him.

As the story continues we see lots of friendships develop between the animals as well as the humans and the farm becomes one big family unit.


I really enjoyed rereading this story and I loved the friendships that E.B. White has created with the animals. Even though the animals seem more like humans sometimes as they speak, you can't help but love their different behaviours and their ways of going about different everyday tasks in their animal-like ways.

I also really enjoyed the development with Wilbur. He started off as a bit clueless and childlike and although he still has his childlike mannerisms near the end, we see a much more content and knowledgeable Wilbur and one that thinks the world of his friends and would do anything for them.

Finally I found the storyline highly engaging and loved how the plot developed. I was never bored and I can understand why this story is a classic. Not only is it a sweet story, it teaches you life lessons throughout and I think it is a great read for any age.


Rating /5

4


If you've read Charlotte's Web, let me know what you thought of it as I would love to know. Also if you have any other classics that you would recommend, feel free to leave those in the comments as well.



Happy Reading!!!



xHannahx



No comments:

Post a Comment