Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Review

Monday 18 January 2016

Hello Book Lovers!!!

I've finally finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline!!! Sorry it has taken me so long and you haven't had a review in a couple of weeks but I've just been so busy!!! I underestimated how busy January was going to be and I haven't even hit the busiest week in the month yet as next week I'm in panto.

Anyway I've finished one book this month at least and I actually really enjoyed it which surprised me as it's a sci fi novel!!! Maybe this is the start of me getting into sci fi more.


In this book we meet Wade who lives most of his life in a virtual reality called the OASIS. When the creator of the OASIS dies, he leaves a challenge for the players. This challenge includes playing games and solving clues to open three gates and collecting each of the keys at each gate. At the end of the last gate, there is an egg. Find the egg and win the game. But it's not just a game, there is a huge prize at the end of it. Immortality and James Halliday's (the creator of the OASIS) fortune!!!

This began as a huge competition when it was first aired but after a few years of nobody finding the first gate, people began to give up. But Wade carried on and once he eventually found the first gate, people began to get more interested in the hunt again. The competition eventually get's fully underway but when the Sixers, a group who want the egg more than anything so they can be in charge of the OASIS, and will do anything, literally, to get it, begin the hunt, Wade realises that this could get much more dangerous than he first imagined. And maybe the help of some of his online friends might be exactly what he needs.


I really enjoyed the story of this novel and the OASIS world. I'm not a gamer myself but my boyfriend is and I couldn't help but think of him throughout this book. I found it hard to picture Wade as I kept on seeing my boyfriend instead. However I did like each of the main characters as they didn't just work hard to find the egg, but helped and supported each other through the process as well.

I never got bored as it was a fast paced story and for me to not get bored in a sci fi novel is a miracle!!! But for once, I understood everything that was going on all the way through. The only bit I struggled with some of the time was remembering what some of the gaming terminology meant. They were stated fully when they were mentioned the first time which was great but then I had to remember what they meant throughout the book when they were abbreviated.

Apart from this however, I did thoroughly enjoy the story and it never seemed to stop. Even from the beginning we were thrown straight into this virtual world and within the first couple of chapters I already felt I knew the OASIS pretty well. I'm really glad I enjoyed it as it has made me feel a little more comfortable about picking up more novels in this genre.


Rating /5
4


If you've read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, then by all means let me know what you thought about it down in the comments below, and I will speak to you all very soon.


Happy Reading!!!


xHannahx


No comments:

Post a Comment